Did you know! Perigord has the second-lowest rate of heart disease in the world despite living on a diet most would consider rich, and they ascribe their health and longevity in no small measure to the walnut, which is known to have cholesterol-lowering properties.
This recipe was prompted by my
'Ask a Question' page.
Submit Recipe allows you to input a favourite french recipe of your own and share your story.
Walnut cake (Gateau aux Noix)
Serves:- 4, Preparation time:- 30 mins, Cooking time:- 45 mins
* 100g of butter
* 200g of sugar
* 4 eggs, separated
* 200g of walnuts, chopped very finely
* 80g of plain flour
* 1 dessertspoon of rum
* pre-heat oven to gas mark 7 or 210 deg C
* cream the butter with a wooden spoon
* add the sugar and the egg yolks and mix well together
* add the nuts, rum and flour and again mix well, but don't beat!
* beat the egg whites till stiff and fold into the mixture
* place the mixture in a cake mould
* bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 mins
* then lower the temperature to gas mark 5 or 150 deg C
* and continue baking for another 25 mins
* once out of the oven, leave to cool and de-mould
* cut into pieces and serve