This recipe is typical from Lorraine, but very simple, so I think anybody who grows this vegetable will do a version of this.
Rhubarb can be grown all year round in France. In 'greenhouses'.
As a child living in the north of England. This dish revives fond memories of rhubarb pie with custard.
Rhubarb Tart (Tarte a la Rhubarbe)
Serves:- 4-6, Preparation time:- 10 mins,(not including preparing the rhubarb) Cooking time:- 25 mins
* 1kg or 2lb of rhubarb, peeled and chopped into chunks
* 350g or enough shortcrust pastry to line a flan dish
* 175g of caster sugar
* 2 tablespoons of vanilla sugar
* 2 large eggs
* 75ml of full cream milk
* 300ml of fresh cream
* put the rhubarb in a bowl and dust with half the caster sugar
* pre-heat your oven to gas mark 5 or 190 deg C
* line your flan dish with the pastry and add the rhubarb
* beat the eggs in a bowl and add the rest of the caster sugar and the vanilla sugar
* stir in the milk and the cream
* add the mixture to the rhubarb
* cook in the oven for 25 mins or until rhubarb is soft
If you LOVE rhubarb and wish to experiment with lots of different recipes and even beverages have a look at this unique site.