Traditional in the Region of Provence.
You can use this recipe with any kind of fruit you like or is in season. This thick cake batter is patted into a flan dish and the fruit is sliced and laid on top.
It makes the most delicious summer dessert and is a kind of cross between a cake and a pie.
Well worth making. I get top marks from my boys when I present this dessert at the end of a meal.
Fruit Tart (Tarte aux Fruits)
Serves:- 8, Preparation time:- 30 mins, Cooking time:- 50 mins
* 2 lb of mixed fruit, strawberries, peaches, pears, and kiwi's or whatever !
* 125g or 4oz of plain flour
* 125g or 4oz of unsalted butter
* 150g or 5oz of caster sugar
* 1 teaspoon of baking powder
* 2 eggs, beaten
* a pinch of salt
* the juice of half a lemon
* icing sugar for dusting at the end
* pre-heat oven to gas mark 4 or 180deg C/350deg F
* in a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar
* add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix together thoroughly
* add the beaten eggs and mix just till the mixture is blended together
* use some butter to grease a 9-10 inch tart/flan dish
* pour in the batter
* smooth the batter down to cover the tin evenly
* slice all the fruit and lay it in circles over the batter or any pattern you like
* sprinkle the fruit with the lemon juice
* put in the pre-heated oven for about 35-45 mins
* take out of the oven, just to sprinkle some icing sugar over the top
* place back in the oven for a further 10 mins or until the batter is set and the fruit is soft
* keep an eye on it at the end, you don't want burnt fruit
* serve warm or ar room temperature