Fried Pumpkin Slices or Chips de Citrouille are made from a seasonal ingredient, pumpkin, grown in abundance in France.
As I arrive at the local school to drop of my 2 boys, Corrine a lovely french lady approaches, this is the 2nd year she has donated pumpkins to our pantry, she tells me to come round to hers as she has an abundance of pumpkins again.
As I arrive at 'cher elles' I can see what she means, they had self seeded and she had
pumpkins all over her garden. She happily gave me two of the biggest pumpkins, which we still have a reserve in
our freezer, they last forever and there are plenty of dishes you can use them in.
Fried pumpkin slices (chips de citrouille)
serves:- 4, Preparation time:- 10 mins, cooking time:- 10-12 mins,
* 2lb of pumpkin flesh, cut into medium sized chips
* 3/4 of a cup of milk
* 1/2 a cup of seasoned flour
* 1 cup of oil for frying
* 1 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic
* 2 tablespoons of finely chopped parsley.
* pour milk into a large bowl and dip each chip into the milk
* coat with the seasoned flour, shake off any excess
* Heat the oil in a large frying pan
* place about half the pumpkin chips in the frying pan to cook one side
* it takes about 2-3 mins then flip onto the other side and repeat
* remove, place on kitchen towel to remove any excess oil and repeat for the other half of the pumpkin chips
* serve hot with the garlic and parsley sprinked on top as you like!!
Do you have a great Traditional French Recipe? Then why not share it with us and other visitors to the site! Use the form below to submit a recipe to Traditional French Food.