Creme Caramel is basically a caramel custard. It's a famous recipe from France which is known all over the world.
Caramel Custard or Crème caramel, is a rich custard dessert with a layer of soft caramel on top. Also known as a flan in France.
It is well known not just in France but all over the world. Probably due to it's simplcity.
It is normally flavoured with vanilla but you can add all sorts of flavourings to your own taste.
Coconut goes down well with the boys and when I add fruit it makes it extra special.
Caramel Custard (Creme Caramel)
Serves:- 6, Preparation time:- 5 mins, Cooking time:- 15 mins
* 75g of caster sugar for the caramel
* 2 tablespoons of caster sugar for the custard
* 2 whole eggs plus 2 egg yolks
* 1 pint of whole milk
* 1 vanilla pod
* pre heat your oven to gas mark 5 or 190 deg C
* melt the sugar to make the caramel in a pan, heat till goes brown and runny
* pour equal amounts into 6 ramekins, to form the base
* add the vanilla pod to the milk and bring to the boil
* add the sugar for the custard to the eggs, egg yolks and whisk
* while still whisking gently add the hot milk, mix together
* pour equal amounts into each ramekin
* now place the ramekins into a roasting dish half filled with water
* put in the oven until they are set
* leave to cool before turning them out and eating.
Do you have a great Traditional French Recipe? Then why not share it with us and other visitors to the site! Use the form below to submit a recipe to Traditional French Food.