Chicken in wine or Fricassee de Poulet is a simple regional recipe from Lorraine, use free range chickens for a better flavour.
At present free range represents less than 3% of all the chicken sold in the UK. Surely that is grotesquely out of proportion. In France, close to 40% of all fresh chicken sold in supermarkets and butchers shops is free range.
Fricassee de Poulet
serves:- 4-6, preparation time:- 10 mins, cooking time:- 1 hour 10 mins,
* 1 large chicken, cut into 8 pieces
* 2 tablespoons of butter
* 2 tablespoons of flour
* 1 glass white wine
* 850 ml or 1 1/2 pints of chicken stock
* 3-4 finely chopped onions
* 1 clove of crushed garlic
* 1 bayleaf
* salt and pepper.
* gently cook the chicken in the butter until firm, but not brown.
* dust the chicken with flour and continue to cook and allow to become golden.
* add the wine, stock, onions, garlic, bayleaf and salt and pepper.
* cover and simmer for about 1 hour
Do you have a great Traditional French Recipe? Then why not share it with us and other visitors to the site! Use the form below to submit a recipe to Traditional French Food.