(Civet de Cerf)
Tell a Friend
Braised Venison is delicious. It is the meat from the red, roe and fallow deer. The secret to cooking braised venison is in the marinating, the longer the better.
If you are into
, France is the place to come. You must have a licence to hunt in France (permis de chasse). The hunting season, is usually from late September to late February.
If you are interested in the 'hunting in France' I've found a very informative site called
it's gives you all the regulations on hunting in France and much more, take a look if that is your thing!!
Do you have a question about braised venison ? Ask Me !
Braised Venison (Civet de Cerf)
serves:- 4-6, preparation time:- 10 mins,(but marinade the meat for up to 3 days) cooking time:- 3hour ish
for the pot
* 2-3 lbs of venison, (buck venison is considered the best)
* 2 medium onions, sliced
* 3 large carrots sliced
* 2 sticks of celery, trimmed and chopped
* 1 bouquet garni
* pared rind of 1 orange, and it's juice
* 1/2 a pint of stock
* 1 tablespoon of redcurrent jelly/jam
* 1 oz of butter
for the marinade
* 2 glasses of red wine
* 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
* 1 onion sliced
* 1 dessertspoon of juniper berries
* 1 teaspoon of allspice
* 1 bayleaf
* a bunch of parsley stalks
* combine the ingredients for the marinade, bring to the boil, when cooled, pour over the meat so as to cover the meat. Leave in the fridge for up to 3 days, turning occasionally
* dry the meat, then using a large casserole, heat the oil and some of the butter and brown the meat all over to seal.
* remove the meat and put in the sliced vegetables, cook gently for 5-6 minutes
* lay the meat on top of the vegetables and add the marinade, stock and herbs
* cover and place in a medium oven for 2 ish hours or until tender, basting occasionally
* when cooked, take out the venison, slice and arrange on a platter
* strain of the gravy and reduce a little by heating
* add the orange juice and jelly, when dissolved, thicken with the butter.
* serve the gravy seperately, with a selection of boiled vegetables
French Food Blog |
Famous French Food |
French Starters |
French Salads |
Vegetable Recipes |
Meat Recipes |
French Desserts |
French Cheese |
Contact Us |
My Story |