Apples and Almonds in Flaky Pastry or 'Pompe aux Pommes du Perigord' is a mouthwatering french dessert recipe from Perigord.
Another wonderful dessert recipe from Périgord, These little 'pommes' grow in abundance here, whether you plant the trees or they self seed. The climate is just right, in late summer they seem to be everywhere.
When we take 'the boys' fishing down by the river (river Dordogne) they spend most of their time picking the 'pommes' from the trees beside the river bank.
So this recipe is quick and easy to prepare, and makes good use of any left over they haven't already munched.
I also love the smell of them cooking!!! Mmmm
(Pompe aux Pommes du Perigord)
serves:- 1-2, preparation:- 5 mins, cooking time:- 20-30 mins,
* 2 cooking apples, peeled. cored and sliced finely
* 250g or 8oz of almond slivers
* 200g or 7oz of sugar
* 75ml or 3 fl oz of sunflower oil
* 1 beated egg
* 350g or 12 oz of puff pastry made with butter
* pinch of salt
* pre-heat your oven to gas mark 5 or 190C/375F
* put to one side 1 tablespoon of the almonds and 1 tablespoon of sugar
* mix all the other filling ingredients together
* roll out the pastry and cut into 4 equal-sized rectangles
* spread the mixture evenly over three of the pastry pieces
* stack on top of each other
* place the fourth piece on the top and sprinkle the reserved almonds and sugar on the top
* squeeze all the edges together slightly and bake in the oven for 20-30 mins
Do you have a great Traditional French Recipe? Then why not share it with us and other visitors to the site! Use the form below to submit a recipe to Traditional French Food.