Ceps with Ham and
(Cepes a la Savoyarde)
Ceps with Ham and Vegetables is a wonderful way to experience the flavour of this
famous wild mushroom.
This wild edible mushroom is a large bolete
with a dull brown cap, dirty white pore and stout and swollen stern,
it is usually found during the summer through to autumn, solitary or
in small groups on soil under broadleaf or coniferous trees.
It is also one of the most famous foods in France, it is a delicacy and quite expensive in
When my husband and boys go foredging in the woods
near where we live, it is truly a treat when they return with cep.
Other mushrooms can be used, for example, morels and girolles.
You can use fresh or dried mushrooms in this
dish, I prefer
fresh, but we know plenty of French who prefer dried.
serves:- 4-6,preparation time:- 10 mins,cooking time:- 30 mins
* 1kg or 2lb of fresh Ceps
* 2 tablespoons of nut oil 1 slice
of raw ham
* finely chopped 2 large onions
* finely chopped 1
clove of garlic
* finely chopped 1 small handful of parsley
chopped 75g or 3oz of butter
* salt and pepper and breadcrumbs.
* Ceps normally require long slow cooking to bring out
their flavour, ideally before you use them in a dish, dry them out in your
oven to get rid of the moisture, then stew them slowly in some oil.
Then they're ready to cook with.
* in a pan, fry the ham, onions, garlic and parsley in the butter
cook together for 5 mins
* add the mushrooms and heat through
* add some salt and pepper to taste and arrange on a hot platter
* then add enough breadcrumbs to absorb the juices
* then serve
Do you have a question about this recipe?
Share this page using the links below