Braised Tomatoes or Tomates à la Provençale is a traditional recipe from Provence. This popular dish is normally served with a meat dish.
Most of Provence has a mediterranean climate, hot, dry summers, mild winters, little snow and lots of sunshine. Situated on the southeastern side of France, on the Mediterranean sea opposite Italy. It's vegetables grow in abundance, with a diet similar to the Italians with lots of tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and fresh herbs, life expectancy is extended here.
(Tomates à la Provençale)
serves:- 6, preparation time:- 5 mins, cooking time:- 10 mins
* 12 large tomatoes, deseeded and halved
* 4 cloves of garlic, minced
* 2 tablespoons of oil
* 1 handful of chopped parsley
* fresh breadcrumbs
* 1 tablespoon of thyme
* salt and pepper
* pre-heat your oven to 200degC or gas mark 6
* fry the tomatoes on both sides very briefly
* put them in a roasting tin cut side up
* mix the garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs, thyme, salt and pepper together
* put a little of the mixture on each tomato
* then bake in the oven for 10 mins
* serve hot with a meat dish
* 'bon appétit'
Do you have a great Traditional French Recipe? Then why not share it with us and other visitors to the site! Use the form below to submit a recipe to Traditional French Food.